Tuesday, March 11, 2008

What's cute?

I think most baby mammals are cute-baby insects, baby reptiles, not cute. I remember when we caught a big black snake and put it in the usual spot-one of the many basement window wells we had made into makeshift aquariums. Well that snake disappeared and a month or so later, my mom headed down to the basement and there she saw them-dozens of little black baby snakes-everywhere! That pregnant snake we caught hid behind one of the metal grooves in the window well and the baby snakes were so small, they squeezed through the window. That was within a couple years of being in the new house, mom how did you put up with us?

We found the cutest baby rabbits Saturday morning, in the dirt area right next to our front porch. There were 3 of them and they were so tiny and soft, just big enough to fit in your hand. We found their nest-a shallow hole with fur and sticks all around and inside it. The babies could jump, but very slow and not very high. The next day they weren't there, so we figured they were about 2 weeks old, because I read that they leave the nest about then. I also read that cottontails have only a one month gestation and give birth to a 3-6 size liter 3 times a year! That explains why they are everywhere out here, they're busy. Anyways it was an exciting day for the kids because they were able to pet and watch them. Now this is cute.

2 comments:

Karin said...

So cute....so in my neighborhood, someone hung a sign saying..."Found bunny" I think they are new to this area and don't realize they are wild! I had to laugh thinking that I would have done the same thing had it been me and I just moved in!

Jami said...

Okay, if my kids had brought home a snake that ended up having baby snakes that were IN THE HOUSE, I would've FREAKED out!!! Snakes andd I don't mix. I too wonder about all the things we did as kids and how we ended up surviving. I say this to my mom all the time, "I'm SO SORRY for ___ (insert here)" This parenting stuff is a lot harder than it looked as a kid! HA HA.