Thursday, June 10, 2010

That was fun

Some things you should know about me & crafting:
I am not a perfectionist.
I copy other's ideas
But attempt to add my own touch
I change my mind a lot
I'm not a seamstress...just a glue gunner
I try to use what I have
Or find a good deal and change it up
I craft in spurts
When I do get into these spurts - things are sacrificed (dishes, laundry, a shower...wait, oh yeah, those things are always waiting in line. so technically...not sacrifices)
It's usually done in the evenings and man I'm really tired in the evenings
When I'm done, I get really proud of myself no matter the result...kind of like a kindergartner and homework
I love the feeling of being in the middle of a project
...And I love the creative and de-stressing outlet it provides me
So here are some finished projects for our newly created girl's room I've been putting together. It's been a very slow process.
*A broken but working lamp I found on clearance at Ross...fabric and trim at Joanne's
...and of course my trusty low temp glue gun is always nearby.
total: $7
Do you believe item#1 from my list above now?

*One part of the girl's room...this will be an open spot once we get bunk beds. I moved that pot of flowers into the bathroom. It's just an old pot I had...I put that green floral foam inside with kabob skewers poked through it. Good idea (not mine) to hold & display flowers for their hair.
I re-painted their furniture black....this lovely bookshelf I got for a couple dollars at a garage sale a few years ago. I don't miss the years of seeing the dirty purple and pink it was painted before. Added the scrap paper in the background of two of the shelves.

Now that's it's got a new coat of paint, you can't tell it's actually badly falling apart.

But this bookshelf does it's job.

That's all I expect from furniture.

*This part of their room has changed since the picture...but this is pretty much it. I found this mirror (again clearance at Ross) which was white with pink princess stuff printed around it. Just changed it up with some paint and an old wooden butterfly I repainted as well.

total: $4

*I got some cheap scrap boards at Lowes...and cheap I mean this is a very thin piece wood. Plus if you couldn't tell, it's barely big enough to fit the letters...that H hangs off the end but I've come to like it.

I painted the unfinished wood letters (HobbyLobby) and added the jewels that I already had laying around. The ribbon I got at Walmart and the flowers were in a big clearance bin at Michaels. I was too lazy to make a trip for some white paint when I went to paint the rectangular board. So I dug around the garage and found a really old bottle of spray paint primer, but there was barely enough to cover the board. Still worked. Added ModPodge on the top to make it look a little better. Used my glue gun yet again to assemble it all together.

Guess I need to trim that ribbon at the end of those bows.

total: $7

*My sister-in-law was my scout at Ikea once (last year?) and found this cabinent door in the clearance section for 4-5$ (?). It's been sitting in my garage ever since. Added scrapbook paper and knobs from Hobby Lobby. The knobs (which I've fallen in love with) are to hang their jewelry and little things on. That's it...didn't even do any painting. Oh and I have vinyl lettering on it's way from my sister-in-law to stick on there saying, "Sisters share together and care forever". Cheesy quote but my sister and I had this quote in a frame (from our Aunt) in our room growing up.

total: $12-13

That's all the crafting for now.

Mmm. What shall I do next?

2 comments:

Tiffin said...

Everything looks great! I bet Anna and Kate LOVE it!!

Cara said...

Im still laughing at the Simpsons guy! You are funny, ilshyarf! I can't believe you did all of that, I love it, its so cute.