Thursday, May 28, 2009

Just some of my simple thoughts

On May 17th, my good friend Kathrine's husband, Russ Welker, passed away unexpectedly in his sleep. They have two little girls, 3 & 6 and they have been married for 11 years (in the temple), he was only 36 years old. He has been with the Tempe Police Department for a decade, and was detective in the Auto Theft division. As the past week of tears and crying has happened in a blur, I've had some of my own little thoughts I've been wanting to journal because this has been a new and sad experience. Kathrine and I have been friends since 1st grade all the way through young womens, dating, a couple jobs, dances, high school, and our years together as wives and mothers. She has always been a special person in my life, she is always thinking of others and is one of the most faithful women in the gospel that I've known. She has always been a loyal and true friend to me and she is a very loving mom. Never have I felt more compassion and love for someone as I do now with her...I never realized how strong the feeling of compassion can be. She has been of course in shock, disbelief and sadness. I guess words can't explain, especially by me, how she feels at this time. When I first heard the news (from my sister who happens to be in her ward), I couldn't believe it and I had no idea what to say or do for her at that moment. What I've learned from this experience: whenever we have someone close to us grieving such a loss, we don't need to know the perfect thing to say- just listen. We don't need to know what to "do" - just be there for them. Physically and emotionally. She has needed someone to hug, hold her hand, and lean against. I've never been the type to know exactly what to do in certain situations, but I know the Lord can help us all be a tool in comforting and helping his children in need. That, I've learned, is what compassion is. At the funeral, her sweet Bishop pointed out that grief is a very necessary part of our life and experience here on earth. Kathrine is staying as strong as she can, she has lots of support from family, ward members, his fellow cops, and neighbors. She has had priesthood blessings given to her and her children. I know that the priesthood can bless our lives in huge ways. The first two Mesa cops to her house were LDS and they immediately gave her husband a blessing. The were able to stay with and comfort Kathrine as her bishop and home teachers came right over and gave her a blessing. Because of the priesthood we can have the strength of the Lord with us. Like Lamoni told Ammon, "I know, in the a strength of the Lord thou canst do all things". What a blessing the knowledge of the gospel and the plan of salvation can be in our lives. She keeps telling me to not let the many distractions of life get in the way with any one minute with those you love. I can't begin and don't feel it appropriate to share all the of many conversations Kathrine and I have had, but that she knows that Heavenly Father has been preparing her in different ways for this tragedy and that her strong testimony is what will help her get through this. I am greatful to have her and her example in my life and hope that those of you that read this will keep her and her girls in your fasting and prayers.

At the funeral, inside the church building, were countless numbers of police officers standing guard at every classroom door and down the hallways, their presence was very comforting. In the viewing room, about 4 officers stood watch and kept a march around his casket. The Tempe Police Chief spoke and shared many funny stories about Russ and honored him because he was a great part of their force...very smart and a hard worker. The funeral procession was very long and there were a ton of motorcycle and police cars lined up along the way. The entrance to the cemetery was lined with the Tempe horse mounted police and a helicopter flew overhead during the burial service.

3 comments:

Angie said...

Thank you for sharing these thoughts. I read them at three in the morning when I was up with Lizzie who is struggling at night. I really needed them. I am so sorry for your friend and her children. I am so glad she has a friend like you to be there for her.

McCrazys said...

I have goosebumps reading this post. How tragically sad.

Becky said...

I have to agree with Angie. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and feelings. I really needed to hear some the things you wrote. So Thank you. I hope that your friend and her girls are blessed through this very difficult time. A lot of people I know knew him, and it sounds like he was a great man.