Monday, January 10, 2011

"Gratitude is the memory of the heart"

My Mom & Dad recently wrote us an email from their mission. They talked about their experiences and "tender mercies". They encouraged us to share with them our "tender mercies" in our lives and families. I started to feel so blessed and realized how much more grateful I need to be about those blessings...those tender mercies...

A couple years after being married, I went through a year of not getting pregnant and ended it with a tubal pregnancy and surgery. Jay and I were feeling really low, but we knew there were children waiting for us. Six months later I felt that same pain during a family get together and Jay & I rushed to the ER. We were surprised to find out I was pregnant. But my levels were low and I was in a familiar pain that didn't end well the last time. We were worried and felt as if things were out of our hands, so we put the next couple of days in the Lords hands. We prayed, as did the whole family. Although my hormone levels were slowly rising after a couple days, they still were not being able to see anything on traditional ultrasounds. The doctors decided it was best to take me into surgery and look for themselves to see if they could find something. They were certain I had a dangerously growing ectopic pregancy (somewhere) that had to be removed. Then our tender mercy happened. Our doctor all the way in Mesa found out of my situation in that Peoria hospital. He later told me that something told him to call my doctors there and tell them to not operate. He told them to do a more higher tech ultrasound that they had not done for me yet. So they took me into ultrasound one last time and...there they saw her, right where she was supposed to be. The size of a little peanut. I was so early on in my pregnancy that it took a couple days for her to be seen. My pain was caused from an ovarian cyst that had burst. This pregnancy was a healthy one. Had they gone in, they could have caused problems to the healthy baby or my fertility. Crazy, right? I remember telling myself as we got ready to leave that hospital to never forget the surprise and the complete happiness I felt. Jay & I couldn't have been more happy than at that moment. Tender mercies...Anna grew a little bigger so that someone could see her ;) and my Dr. was inspired to call & tell them to wait & try something else first.
Now it has been eight years and four kids later. Anna is getting baptized at the end of this month. The kids are healthy and happy. I have a husband who supports me as a mom and can always calm me down or give me perfect advice on the bad days.
I am so grateful for the many different tender mercies in my life.


2 comments:

Britney and Kevin said...

I love this Ash! I remember that day. I was far away, and didn't know what was going on, but I didn't feel good either! What blessings our children are. And what they can teach us...just in 10 minutes! lol :)

Karin said...

Great memory! love ya