Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Join Me Please!


One of my friends in my ward is a race director for a fabulous race...Shun the Sun (previously Run from the Sun). Everyone says it's the best around! It's at Hohokam Stadium on November 13th...a half marathon, 5k, and 1.5 m family fun run. As far as I know, the registration for the 5k right now is $30. Your registration fee goes towards fighting skin cancer...they will be raising money for schools in the valley who have NO shades up over their playgrounds. What a great cause!
I know there are lots of things for the kids to do on that Friday and Saturday of race weekend. According to my friend, the kid zone is is free; there will be 7-8 jumpers; one of those video gamer trucks full of wiis, and xboxes; facepainting, coloring, jewelery making, etc. They are trying to put together a large concert (sponsored by KNIX) right after the race. They have lots of goodies for the goody bags, like a $500 gift card towards sunglasses (comparable to Oakley) you just have to pay the $12 S & H fee, Biore face wipes, snicker marathon bars, etc. They are doing dog tags for "medals" so it will be something you might actually wear and they are also doing short sleeve tech shirts which I hear everyone loves. They are hoping to have 30 massage therapists there for free massages after you run and the list just goes on and on.
I started training for the 5k Monday, and believe me...I am starting from scratch!
Seriously. I'm hoping I'll just be able to finish the race.
So to ALL my friends out there who never run or casually run or always run...start training and come join the fun!!
Yikes, I hesitated to post this lovely picture of myself from Senior year in Cross Country. Makes me nervous. I was in shape back then and look at that face. But this picture also motivates me. I LOVED running and I hope that will all come back to me. Thanks to Shun the Sun for being a motivation to me as well! I lost twenty pounds so far this year, and hope that now that I've started running, I can say goodbye to some more baby weight (ps. I will not miss you).
My sister-in-law has started a blog for any women planning to run it. Just send me your email (ashleyolson4@yahoo.com) and I'll send you an invite. Everyone invited is an administrator...so you can post your training plans, share your favorite running songs, send other friends invites and get ideas and support from others running the race.

I'd LOVE to see you there in November!

Go to:
to register.

5 comments:

Monica said...

AP, should I do it 7 months pregnant? I could start to train now....that could be a GREAT goal. What do you think? Do I dare?

Cara said...

Ashley, great post, I just sat down to post about it because I'm training for the 1/2. I'm crazy but my bro. talked me into it. Please send me an invite to your friends blog that has motivation spelled out all over it.

ashley said...

Okay...Monica...I want to laugh and think that you're kidding, but I have a feeling that you would totally do it seven months pregnant! ...would you?!?!?
Because you are THE Mrs. Iron Woman! I would LOVE if you were there..let me know if you are serious, because I'm actually believing you. I can get you an invite to the blog as well :)
And Cara...you are insanely awesome! Really the 1/2?? You are now my official idol. And you are now officially probably not joining me for my wimpy training.
No seriously that's awesome...I'll send you an invite C-real.

Aaron.Shara.Abby said...

I would love an invite. I am thinking about doing the 5k, we will see how the triathlon goes!

ashley said...

Awesome Shara! Good luck on the triathalon :) I got your email from your Facebook and sent you and invite tonight. Just a little blog...but fun to see and hear from others who will be running it!