A few hours after this rattlesnake encounter (see below), I was helping my dad load up some stuff in his car and I saw a big whiptail lizard run across our front porch, leap onto my house, and scale across the stucco before falling down to the porch again. Thanks to my dad and his decades of lizard catching experience (a lot of lizard catching going on with 5 boys growing up), we chased him a little while and cornered him down by the doorway. My mom unknowingly opened the door and the lizard ran into the house. The kids (I also had my sisters 3 kids) went crazy as the lizard ran across the tile (he look kind of like a cartoon character ya know-with his feet going very fast in circles, but not getting anywhere). Well, the lizard finally got behind some furniture and my Dad caught it. I had a video clip of this but I'm having problems uploading it. In the video the lizard bites David... he was pretty excited about that. So this story continues, we stuck the lizard in a garbage pail in the garage. I felt kind of bad because it's where we put the not-so-nice diapers, so I'm sure he was loving breathing in that air. Anyways, I went back in the garage to check on him and I heard scratching coming from a box, I grabbed a flashlight and sure enough it was ANOTHER whiptail, same size, same everything! Strange! To make a long story short, I finagled this lizard (because I won't touch them) into the diaper pail and then we had two! This evening, we let them go together on our front porch to live a free life. The snake wasn't so lucky. What a WEIRD day at the Olson house. (see past wildlife encounters we've had in our front and back yard on the slideshow at the bottom)
Saturday, May 17, 2008
more wildlife adventures today!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








6 comments:
This is such a great picture. I was glad that you are all safe!!! The Snake just grossed me out!!! Poor Anna--she will never be the same!!! Love you all --MOM
I cant believe that happened all in the same day! Only to you Ashley! I must say you handled it rather well!
You sure do live an adventurous life! :) The snake thing would have had me freaked out too.
Ashley, what the heck? Reptiles love your house. What kind of perfume are you wearing? Not even the wildlife can stay away. ;0)
And you might want to start charging for field trips soon now that school's going to be out for the older kids. I bet you can make some bucks... Just make them all sign a waiver first. HA HA.
What an eventful day. Your lizard story reminds me of our old dog max. He used to run along the back fence trying to snap them of the brick fence with his teeth. He acutaly did catch a few in his day.
Smash you are soooo much braver than me!!! I would've freaked out and had the moving van packed by now. Props to Jay too! I could barely watch the slide show at the bottom!
Post a Comment